The Caucasus Egg was presented to Tsarina Maria Feodorovna at Easter 1893 and it commemorates Abastumani, a small town in Caucasus where the tsarina’s son, George, spent most of his life after being diagnosed with tuberculosis.
The egg is ruby-enamelled with gold rose-cut diamonds, portrait diamonds, platinum, ivory, pearls, rock crystal and watercolour on ivory. The egg has four pearl-bordered doors which open to reveal miniature watercolour pictures signed by Konstantin Krijitski and each door displays a diamond-set numeral forming the year 1893. The paintings are of the house that was build for George Alexandrovich and the surrounding areas which were alleged to have healing waters. A hinged section at the top of the egg opens to reveal a portrait of Grand Duke George Alexandrovich in his naval uniform.
The Caucasus Egg was confiscated during the 1917 revolution and transferred to the Kremlin where it remained until it was sold in 1930. The egg was bought by Matilda Geddings Gray, an oil heiress, in 1959 and it remains part of the Matilda Geddings Gray Foundation at the New Orleans Museum of Art, Louisiana.